Cross-posted from scottmerrickdotnet
Thursday, December 18, 2014
Monday, October 29, 2012
- Tuesday, October 30, 4:00-5:00 PM ET: Creating and Running a Public Online High School: Challenges, Successes, and Lessons Learned with Scott Merrick, Online Learning Specialist, Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools (MNPS) Virtual School, Webinar Room: http://econference.edc.org
Monday, May 23, 2011
This is what I'm talking about. Congratulations to our seven graduating seniors amongst the class of 39 graduation seniors at Middle College High School! Thanks also to our parents for support and to our legislators for opening up the path to our actually being a SCHOOL. And what a school it will be. Stay tuned!
and watch them walk!
and watch them walk!
Monday, March 21, 2011
Monday, March 14, 2011
Every educator owes it to him/herself, his/her students, and the future of education to watch this video. While Khan's approach is but one of myriad possible ways to improve Education (with a capital E), it potentially addresses several root manifestations of the fine fix we've worked ourselves into:
- The damage that homework does to family, child, and learning
- Lecture as primary mode of teaching
- "Classroom management"--Sit quietly in your seat and pay attention: Do not talk
- Standardized testing = principle assessment tool
- Missed steps in learning snowballing into failure
- The bad rap that making mistakes has been saddled with
- Games = the enemy
Saturday, March 12, 2011
SIGVE- Speaker Series
Special Guest: Joanne Henning and Kimmer Jameson
MISSION US- A New Way of Learning History
|WHEN: Tuesday, March 15th, 2011|
WHERE: ISTE Island Auditorium, Second Life
TIME: 5pm SL time
Remember when History class was dull? Well, no more. Mission US is part role-play, gaming system, and virtual environment. This web based or downloaded program combines powerful content with an engaging format for middle school age (grades 5-8) students. Please join us as we meet MISSION US AZ Teacher of the Year - Joanne Hennin along with PBS Ei8ht’s Kimmer Jamison. They will share Joanne’s award winning project -- and why it was such a successful implementation model for students, as well as share the resources for MISSION US.
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
I came across this just yesterday and shared it out via my Facebook network, but I'm thinking it belongs here. Doing some writing today and I'm hoping to add a bit of meat to this blog's bones soon. Meanwhile, if you are at all interested in designing courses for online learning and teaching, you absolutely must be familiar with this tidy little interview with Richard Culatta: